
Liverpool could complete a surprise transfer at the end of the window if Marc Guehi moves to Anfield, according to reports. The reigning Premier League champions have been among the division's busiest clubs in terms of summer recruitment. They have spent just shy of £300million on seven new players and could still do more business ahead of Monday's deadline.
A potential move for Crystal Palace defender Marc Guehi has been discussed for some time, but an agreement is yet to be reached. Earlier this weekend, Liverpool reportedly submitted a formal offer worth around £35m but Palace were seeking another £5m in add-ons. Arne Slot is said to believe that Guehi is the ideal man to partner Virgil van Dijk at the back this season.
Liverpool reportedly want to sign him now, rather than allowing the saga to stretch into the January window. Guehi has just entered the final year of his contract at Selhurst Park, meaning Palace are under pressure to cash in while they still can.
If that deal is completed, it could open up another avenue for Liverpool in the hours before Monday's deadline. They will allow Joe Gomez to leave the club in the event Guehi signs before the window closes, according to Fabrizio Romano.
AC Milan are said to be interested in signing Gomez and have reportedly opened talks with Liverpool over a permanent deal. A transfer fee is yet to be agreed, with the terms of the proposed deal under discussion.
Meanwhile, it has been reported by Gianluca Di Marzio that Gomez is open to the move in order to play regular football. However, he is not actively pushing to leave Liverpool as things stand.
AC Milan have also been linked with Manchester City defender Manuel Akanji, who looks set to leave the Etihad Stadium before Monday's deadline. That deal could be very difficult, though, given that Tottenham are believed to be leading the race.
Their proposed move for Gomez will entirely depend on whether Liverpool can land Guehi before the window shuts, with the Reds set to face resistance from Crystal Palace manager Oliver Glasner.
Speaking earlier this week, he said: "From my side, now it is Friday and the window closes on Monday, he has to [stay].
"He has to, because I think it is not possible at the moment to find a Marc Guehi replacement who can play straight [away] in the Premier League, being a starter for Crystal Palace, being consistent.
"When we see our foundation of the success we've had in the last couple of months, and also the foundation of going into the group stage [of the Conference League], is our defence.
"We had two clean sheets against Fredrikstad, we've had five games played with three clean sheets, we've conceded just one goal in the Premier League, so this is our foundation. Marc is a crucial part.
"He's the captain, an English international, he has the most Premier League experience in the whole back [line]. Getting the right replacement, I think, is almost impossible."
For the latest breaking stories and headlines, sign up to our Daily Express LFC newsletter.
You may also like
Union Minister Bandi Sanjay announces Rs 10 Lakh assistance for Sircilla flood victims
Mikel Arteta points finger over Arsenal defeat to Liverpool and singles out four players
Alexander Isak to Liverpool transfer update as Newcastle dealt blow
Food minister to review states' progress in removing ineligible free ration scheme beneficiaries today
Floods leave women struggling in Pakistan's relief camps